Conyac Support for Freelancer

Support Center

What is Withholding Tax and why do you subtract it?

Last Updated: Aug 05, 2019 04:04PM JST

If you are not a Japanese national or resident of Japan, you can ignore this article.

Conyac is operated by Xtra, Inc. — a Japanese company. We are thus subject to the laws of Japan when it comes to how we handle payments and taxation issues. We, therefore, must apply withholding tax when paying freelancers who are subject to withholding taxes under the income tax laws for residents of Japan.

Persons Subject to Japanese Withholding Tax

  • Withholding tax subject to the income tax laws for residents of Japan
  • If you are applying for an Individual Number (known as "My Number" in Japan)
  • If you selected Japan as your country of residence when applying for ID verification
  • Those who have not yet applied for My Number and ID verification*

* If you can not submit your ID verification, we must assume that your country of residence in Japan and apply a withholding tax to all payments.

Withholding Amount

  • Amount paid out (minus fee) * 10.21%
  • In the payment record, we will indicate the payout amount converted into JPY (Japanese yen).

Payment Records

With regard to the payment record for the withholding tax, a copy of the payment record to be submitted to the tax office can be downloaded from Conyac as a PDF if the following conditions are met.

  • If the amount paid out from January to December of the relevant fiscal year (only for the completed portion) exceeds 50,000 yen
  • If you registered your residence location as "Japan" in your My Number application and ID verification in the corresponding year.
  • If there occurred withholding tax within the year.

In addition, a payment record (copy) for the year is available for download by the beginning of February of the next year.

Downloading Your Payment Record

1. Click the "History" tab on the "Payout" page.

2. Select the year you want to issue a payment record from the drop-down list.

3. Click “Payment Record” to start downloading a PDF of your payment record (copy).


Payment Record Eligibility

Please note that if the amount paid out from January to December of the relevant fiscal year (only for the completed portion) is less than 50,000 yen, submission of a payment record to the tax office is not required. Thus, as per the advice of our tax accountant, in this case, our policy is to not issue a payment record.

Please be sure to consult with your local tax office for specific questions regarding tax returns.

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found